While barn weddings have become popular all over the country (just like estates in Europe) New England really is the place you think of when you think quintessential barns. These old barns and farm houses were a way of life for hundreds of years. It is wonderful to see some of these places being restored and turned into event spaces because with the decline of farms and the New England winters many of these places have fallen down. Having your wedding in a Maine or New England barn is a wonderful experience for your friends and family. It has its own character and really gives you that “New England and Maine feeling/experience”. Here are five things to consider when you plan your Maine barn wedding:
1. Lighting: During the day these barns/farm houses have gorgeous natural light but when the sun sets and you are ready to get your party on it is pretty dark in the barn and around the farmhouse. We highly recommend bringing in a lighting company to do some chandeliers and or stringing of some lights.
2. Use of Space: Many people will rent a tent for the dinner portion of the wedding so that they can use the barn area to set up the band/DJ and “party space”. It is nice to consider how the people will experience the space and how the timeline of the event will flow through the property.
Considerations include: parking, seating during open dancing for elderly, handicap accessibility, where the catering company will base out of, where dessert will be served, where the bar is stationed, bathrooms, and what is the rain plan?
3. Decorations: Often the barns are beautiful as they are because they have that rustic feel but it is nice to give the space your own touch and maybe make it more of a rustic elegance for your wedding. Consider things like linens and bunting. You can use ribbon or fabric for some awesome DIY backgrounds that just bring the space up a notch. See DIY backgrounds for more information about that. Florals are huge for really creating a beautiful wedding space.
4. Food and Drink: Some fun ideas for food at your rustic elegant Maine or New England barn wedding would be BBQ, or Food Trucks. It is important that you talk with your catering companies before hand so that you know they will have everything they need….power, water, generators etc. Also check with them to see that you do not need any additional rentals such as linens, glassware, napkins, or silverware.
5. Educate your Guests: In order for your guests to have the best time they can be sure to let them know how to dress for the facility, that New England weather is unpredictable to be sure to have layers and backup shoes. The more information you can provide your guests the more comfortable they will be and the more fun they will have. Offer them lawn games and other activities to play into the New England relaxed feel.
Maine and New England barn weddings represent a casual, organic way of life. That translates so well into a wedding experience. It provides a fun, laid back atmosphere and offers an experience that most people don’t get everyday. They are beautiful and rustic but can be transformed into something elegant and extraordinary. Maine barns are my absolute favorite Maine wedding venues….I love Hardy Farm, Flanagan Farm, The Barn on Walnut Hill, and Laudholm Farm. If you want more suggestions on how to be sure your barn wedding is elegant and extraordinary hire an expert. Try some of the best Maine barn wedding planners….Daisies & Pearls, B Merry, Cairn Events, Seacoast Harbor Events, and Pencil Events.